Being a parent is all about balance, isn’t it? Over the last 4 years as a Mama, I have found this true in just about every facet of motherhood. I’ve shared these thoughts a time or two on my feed, but will share them again here.
When I first became a Mom I was really worried that I was going to “deprive” my babes of all the colorful, fun food options, in the name of health. Of course, I didn’t want that. I wanted to be a fun mom and wanted what I made for my littles to be able to compete with the store-bought, commercial versions in my kid’s eyes, but still, health has always been paramount in our home. Yes, we still have comfort foods, snacks and treats (trust me: ice cream nights are one of our faves!), but I also really strive for our relationship with food to be different, and with 3 little ones who have an interest in all of the colorful, sugary, character-themed goodies down the store aisles, I regularly challenge myself to make healthy treats, foods, and meals as a whole more fun and interesting.
One of my latest challenges: Cocoa Puffs. My oldest has been asking for these ever since he had some while over at a friend’s house. Now, even though I am all about balance, I am also totally okay with saying no to a cereal that has sugar listed as its second ingredient, making up 40% of the calorie content. Ugh! So, Healthy Cocoa Puffs with no refined sugar was the challenge: Mission accepted and achieved, and using Sneakz Vanilla Milkshake Drink as one of the ingredients, I am even sneaking veggies into every bite. Can you believe that?!
What You Need
- 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp Sneakz Organic Vanilla Milkshake Drink* (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups Almond Flour (I used Bobs Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour)
- 1/2 cup and 1/8 cup cocoa powder (divided)
- 1 tbsp sea salt.
How To Make It:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and line a couple large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set off to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the following: 1/2 cup only Sneakz Organic Vanilla Milkshake drink, eggs, agave nectar, almond butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until well-combined. Then set aside.
- Then, in a separate bowl combine the following: almond flour, 1/2 cup only cocoa powder and sea salt.
- Add in your dry ingredients (directly above) into your wet ingredients and stir, stir, stir!
- Now, roll up your sleeves (literally!) and start rolling mixture into small balls (like cocoa puffs) and place on your prepped baking sheets. *I did this directly next to my sink and had to rinse my hands off often throughout this process because it is sticky. Also, it does help to leave your hands slightly wet.
- Continue until you have used just a little more than half of mixture. Once you have used just more than half of the batter, add your extra tbsp Sneakz Organic Vanilla Milkshake drink and 1/8 cup cocoa powder and mix in.
- Then, continue rolling mixture into small balls until all batter is used. This will make your cereal so that some cocoa puffs are just a little more chocolatey than others.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 18-20 minutes, shaking pans halfway through to rotate the cacao puffs.
- Once baked, remove from oven and let cool completely before eating and mix them all up (since some have just a little more cocoa than others)
- Enjoy with milk of choice.
These cocoa puffs keep in an air-tight container for approximately five days. YUM!
You can still serve up healthier options for your little ones and be a cool mom; I promise! And, for an extra boost of goodness, Sneakz can be your little secret. Whether you have a picky eater, or not – hidden veggies are always a good idea. Food made with real ingredients really can be fun; this cereal is proof!
recipe by Joy Miles of Lunches and Littles