Energy bars are an essential snack we like to keep around during the busy week, but many store-bought bars aren't as healthy as the pretty packaging may lead you to believe! Most are packed with processed sugar and artificial ingredients.
The good news is, energy bars and bites are easy to make and taste better than the leading store brand. We created these Pumpkin Seed Energy Bars made with Sneakz Organic Protein Powder and topped with a delicious cherry compote for a touch of sweetness!
These bars are the perfect solution for an afternoon snack, pre/post workout fuel, or addition to your little one's lunch box!
- 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or oats blended to fine ground)
- 2 scoops of Sneakz Protein Powder (Your flavor choice- we used Strawbery)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup dates (If tough to bite soak in 1/2 cup liquid for 30 minutes)
- 4 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp of coconut shreds (for optional topping)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup creamy salted natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/2 cup of nut-milk (we used almond milk)
- 8oz Organic Tart Cherry Juice (optional for drizzle topping)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
Did you know pumpkin seeds are packed with antioxidants?! Perfect to help reduce inflammation after a tough workout!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Begin by mixing dry ingredients together and adding wet ingredients (nut butter and sweetener). Thoroughly mix until the ingredients become dough-like
- Cover your 13-inch baking pan with a layer of wax paper and press dough into the pan. Bake for 15 minutes followed by refrigeration for 30 min to 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into square bars.
- Add equal parts tart cherry juice and coconut sugar in a pot on low to medium heat for 20-30 min. A syrup consistency should be achieved during the cooldown of the liquid mixture.
- Coat the energy bars with the cherry topping as desired!
We used our additional dough mixture to create these easy raw energy balls! Simply roll the dough into bite-sized balls and serve!
The only thing better than eating your homemade energy bars is sharing them with friends!
Photography by Christa Funk