recipe and photography by Lunches + Littles
I love a healthy dish; especially if it can also be called a dessert (yes, healthy and dessert really can go hand in hand). I also love a dish or treat that just looks beautiful and this Purple Power Vegan Ice Cream seems to be the perfect marriage of both of those things. With its subtle taste of coconut combined with all the sweet and creaminess of sweet potatoes and the beautiful (and fun!) purple color, this is sure to be a dessert that you (and your little ones!) will love. And, it’s powerful, because it packs all the health benefits of sweet potatoes, the added protein from Sneakz and is completely vegan, and free from the 8 most common allergens. See full recipe below.
Prep Time: 15 mins Freeze time: 8 hours
Yields: 4-6 servings (dependent on portion size)
What You Need:
- 1 and 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour (can substitute arrowroot powder here, if desired)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 - 1 and 1/2 cups purple sweet potatoes (chopped and boiled)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1 -2 vanilla beans (I used vanilla beans) 2 scoops Vanilla Sneakz Protein Powder
How You Make It:
(Be sure to read full recipe prior to starting!)
- Add coconut milk, flour, syrup and sweet potatoes to a high-powered blender (I use a Vitamix), and blend until completely smooth.
- Next, transfer mixture to a saucepan and bring just to a boil. Once boiling, immediately remove from heat, and whisk continuously until mixture is thickened up a bit.
- Then, pour into an airtight container and chill overnight (approx. 8 hours)
- In the morning, or after 8 hours’ time, remove from freezer and finish one of the following ways:
- Using an ice cream maker: Add mixture to ice cream maker and churn per the maker’s instructions. During the churning process add in the Sneakz Protein Powder and the vanilla bean(s) or extract. Then re-set in the freezer as instructed.
- Using a stand mixer: Freeze bowl overnight if possible, while freezing ice cream mixture initially. Then use the paddle attachment for your mixer to mix ice cream that way, on low speed. During this process, add in the Sneakz Protein Powder and the vanilla bean(s) or extract. Then serve immediately or let slightly re-set in the freezer prior to serving.
- Using neither of the above: If you do not have an ice cream maker or a stand mixer, simply whisk the mixture very well before initially freezing. Then, every couple hours whisk again, as it is freezing so that it does not ever become too hard or icy. - If using this method, make ice cream in the morning, so that you have time throughout the day to whisk.
No matter how you finish making this treat, enjoy the color, the creamy taste and all the goodness that is packed inside! Yum!
Lunches + Littles focuses on quick, healthy and fun meal options for little ones and the family as a whole. A mantra of sorts – making meals fun doesn’t have to be hard and real food really can be fun (and loved)! Find our more on Instagram; @lunchesandlittles!